Lâu đài Caen

Lâu đài Caen


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Château de Caen là một Norman được xây dựng vào khoảng năm 1060 bởi William the Conqueror. Con trai của ông là Henry I sau đó đã xây dựng nhà thờ Saint George, một khu bảo tồn và một hội trường lớn cho Tòa án công tước.

Lâu đài Caen, cùng với toàn bộ Normandy, được Hoàng gia Pháp tái chiếm vào năm 1204. Philip II đã gia cố các công sự. Lâu đài đã chứng kiến ​​một số cuộc giao tranh trong Chiến tranh Trăm năm. Bảo tàng đã được dỡ bỏ vào năm 1793 trong cuộc Cách mạng Pháp, theo lệnh của Công ước Quốc gia.

Lâu đài, được sử dụng làm doanh trại trong Thế chiến thứ hai, bị đánh bom vào năm 1944 và bị hư hại nghiêm trọng.

Ngày nay, lâu đài đóng vai trò như một viện bảo tàng, nơi có Bảo tàng Mỹ thuật Caen, Bảo tàng Normandy và Sơn mài Normandy.


Lâu đài Caen - Lịch sử

Vào khoảng năm 1025, dưới thời trị vì của công tước Normandy Richard II, thị trấn Caen ngày càng phát triển & nằm ngang sông Oulne ở hai bên, với các nhà thờ, vườn nho, đồng cỏ, nhà máy, với chợ, các chủ quầy hàng & thuế rsquo , cảng và tất cả các công trình phụ & quot. Vào thời điểm đó, nó không chỉ là một thị trấn thứ cấp với hoạt động buôn bán, nơi kinh doanh được phát triển bởi sự hiện diện của cảng. Tài sản này, kết hợp với sự tồn tại của một mỏm đá thích hợp để xây dựng lâu đài đã không bị Công tước William chú ý. Vào khoảng năm 1060, hơn một thập kỷ sau chiến thắng quyết định trước các nam tước phiến quân của mình trong Trận chiến Val-es-Dunes, hoàng tử đã đến định cư tại thị trấn này với một tương lai.

Được xây dựng trên mỏm đá nhìn ra quận chúa, lâu đài William & rsquos có kích thước ấn tượng, hơn 5 ha được ngăn ở phía bắc bởi một con hào phòng thủ sâu. Dinh thự của hoàng tử & rsquos, mà các văn bản và kế hoạch cổ xưa mô tả là Vieux-Palais, cung điện cũ, được che chở sau những bức tường cao với giáo xứ St George và nhiều ngôi nhà gần đó.

Cùng lúc với lâu đài được xây dựng, William và vợ là Matilda đã thành lập hai tu viện ở Caen, Abbaye aux Hommes (Tu viện Đàn ông & rsquos) và Abbaye aux Dames (Tu viện Ladies & rsquo). Cũng trong thời kỳ đó, một vòng vây đã được xây dựng xung quanh quận chúa. Trong nửa sau của thế kỷ 11, thị trấn đã trở thành một địa điểm xây dựng khổng lồ, khuyến khích một làn sóng dân số mới, những người sẽ giúp đưa Caen trở thành một thành phố lớn, công quốc của Normandy & rsquos lớn thứ hai sau Rouen.

Các công tước Norman và cung điện rsquo

Vào thời điểm xây dựng lâu đài vào khoảng năm 1060, William xứ Normandy đã thiết lập cung điện của mình bên trong khu bao vây. Hầu hết những gì chúng ta biết về khu phức hợp cung điện này đến với chúng ta từ các cuộc khai quật khảo cổ học được tiến hành vào những năm sau Thế chiến thứ hai bởi nhà khảo cổ học Michel de Bo & uumlard. Ba chức năng của cung điện đã được xác định từ những phần còn lại được phát hiện. Theo nhà khảo cổ học, một tòa nhà hình chữ nhật 16 mét x 8 (aula) với nền đất sét gợi ý nhà bếp và tầng phụ & ldquoas thường được tìm thấy ở tầng trệt của hoàng tử & rsquos aula vào thế kỷ 11 và 12. & rdquo Căn hộ của công tước & rsquos (camera ) sau đó sẽ ở tầng trên theo gợi ý của phần còn lại của một cầu thang được xây dựng gần đây hơn ở một góc của tòa nhà. Phần còn lại của nhà nguyện palatine (capella) cũng được khai quật cách tòa nhà đầu tiên vài thước, mặc dù nhà nguyện này vẫn tồn tại một phần trong các công trình hiện đại bị phá hủy trong các cuộc đánh bom năm 1944. Chúng ta không thể nói chắc chắn như thế nào hoặc thậm chí là cung điện William & rsquos. có bị cô lập hay không với phần còn lại của vòng vây, vì không có phần tử bao quanh nào được phát hiện trong quá trình khai quật. Đối với đơn vị nguy nga này do William xứ Normandy xây dựng, một hội trường mới được xây dựng bởi con trai ông, Henry I Beauclerc, được xây dựng vào khoảng năm 1120, hiện được gọi là Salle de l & rsquo & Eacutechiquier (Exchequer Hall). Hội trường lộng lẫy này có kích thước ấn tượng hơn (32 mét x 13), và là công trình kiến ​​trúc Romanesque dân sự duy nhất còn sót lại ở Normandy.

Được biến đổi hoàn toàn qua nhiều thế kỷ và chiến tranh, khó có thể khẳng định rằng Exchequer Hall chưa bao giờ có nhiều hơn một tầng. Vì thiếu bằng chứng ngoài manh mối kỳ lạ, để chứng minh sự tồn tại của một tầng trung gian vào thế kỷ 12, công trình trùng tu lớn của

Những năm sáu mươi đã chọn khôi phục hội trường về một trạng thái được biết đến nhiều hơn trong các tác phẩm, đó là vào thế kỷ 14.

Cuộc khai quật hiện tại của tòa nhà thế kỷ 12 với kiến ​​trúc tương đương với Sảnh Exchequer sẽ mang lại nhiều thông tin bổ sung và có lẽ phần nào đặt ra câu hỏi về hoạt động và diễn giải của đơn vị cung điện.

Giáo xứ lâu đài và trang trại

Trong khi lâu đài Caen & rsquos hoạt động như một tòa án tối cao được thiết lập khá rõ ràng với sự xác định của đơn vị cung điện thế kỷ 11 & ndash12, thì việc xác định nông trại trong vòng vây lâu đài là không dễ dàng như vậy. Mặc dù rõ ràng là có một số dịch vụ mà hoạt động cung điện không thể thiếu, nhưng những dịch vụ này khó có thể thực hiện trong lâu đài hơn. Ở đây một lần nữa, khảo cổ học lại được giải cứu khi các tác phẩm viết rất ít nói trước thế kỷ 14. Một bộ nhà bếp gắn liền với khu lưu giữ được khai quật vào những năm sáu mươi, tuy nhiên không có dấu hiệu của nhà máy mặc dù trong các tác phẩm được đề cập là nằm trong cùng một khu vực. Một số căn cứ thuộc về những ngôi nhà nhỏ cùng thời với thế kỷ thứ nhất, 11, lâu đài cũng đã được đưa ra ánh sáng tại địa điểm, chủ yếu là ở khu vực lân cận tháp cổng, lối vào chính của địa điểm vào thời các công tước.

Bằng chứng thuyết phục nhất về sự tồn tại của trang trại ở lâu đài Caen là nhà thờ giáo xứ St George. Mặc dù rất khó để xác định rằng giáo xứ có trước lâu đài, vì các cuộc khai quật đã không phát hiện ra di tích nào từ trước năm 1100, tòa nhà đã đi cùng với sự tồn tại gần một thiên niên kỷ của pháo đài & rsquos. Mọi phong cách kiến ​​trúc đều được thể hiện trong nhà thờ, từ kiến ​​trúc Norman Romanesque cho đến các cửa sổ kính màu lịch sử thế kỷ 20. Thông qua vị trí trung tâm của nó trong vòng vây và sức hút tự nhiên của tòa nhà như vậy, nhà thờ St George & rsquos sẽ được giao một nhiệm vụ mới. Vào năm 2013, nó sẽ trở thành trung tâm tiếp nhận và phiên dịch của Lâu đài Caen, điểm khởi đầu của chuyến thăm và là cánh cửa rộng mở đến các địa điểm đối tác tiếng Pháp và tiếng Anh khác của dự án Châu Âu & quotNorman Connections & rdquo, công trình đang được thực hiện như một phần của dự án đó.

Một pháo đài trong thành phố

Không có gì được biết về pháo đài lâu đài đầu tiên được xây dựng vào khoảng năm 1060. Những phần lâu đời nhất của thành lũy nằm ở phía bắc của địa điểm có niên đại từ đầu thế kỷ 12. Được làm bằng đá, có rất nhiều trên địa điểm, thành lũy này được xây dựng trên một bờ kè bằng đống đổ nát lấy từ việc đào các con mương phía bắc và phía đông. Bờ kè này có phải được sử dụng để xây dựng một bãi tập kết bằng gỗ ban đầu không? Không ai biết, vì khảo cổ học đã không khai quật được gì để giải thích câu hỏi này.

Vào thế kỷ 11, có hai cổng vào lâu đài. Đầu tiên ở phía bắc cũng là lối vào chính của địa điểm. Nó được bảo vệ bởi một tháp cổng hùng vĩ. Về phía nam, thông tin liên lạc duy nhất với thị trấn là qua đường bưu điện.

Thành lũy, chắc chắn được trang bị bằng gỗ khi được xây dựng lần đầu tiên, được rải rác với nhiều tòa tháp khi và khi nỗ lực được thực hiện để nâng cao phẩm chất phòng thủ của nó.

Tài sản chính của pháo đài & rsquos vẫn được giữ lại, được xây dựng vào khoảng năm 1120 bởi Henry I. Chúng ta biết ít về nó, nhưng chắc chắn nó có thể so sánh theo nhiều cách với Lâu đài Falaise đương thời. Ở đây một lần nữa, khảo cổ học đã được giúp đỡ rất nhiều vì nó đã dẫn đến việc khám phá lại sơ đồ mặt bằng của khu bảo tồn (24 m x 27 m) và bức màn với bốn tháp ở góc được đặt vào thế kỷ 13 để cô lập giữ khỏi phần còn lại của bao vây. Trong cuộc Cách mạng Pháp, Công ước Quốc gia đã ra quyết định phá hủy kho lưu giữ (1793). Công trình này chỉ được hoàn thành vào thế kỷ 19 bởi quân đội tại doanh trại Lef & egravebvre, những người đã chôn cất những phần còn lại cuối cùng để làm nơi diễn hành.

Trong suốt lịch sử lâu đời của nó, và chắc chắn là nhờ những phẩm chất phòng thủ của nó, lâu đài Caen chưa bao giờ bị bão cuốn.


Lâu đài Caen - Lịch sử

Các biên tập viên của chúng tôi sẽ xem xét những gì bạn đã gửi và xác định xem có nên sửa đổi bài viết hay không.

Caen, thành phố, thủ đô của Calvados département, Normandy khu vực, tây bắc nước Pháp, trên sông Orne, 9 dặm (14 km) từ eo biển Manche, tây nam Le Havre.

Lần đầu tiên nó trở nên quan trọng dưới thời các công tước Norman vào thế kỷ 10 và 11 và là thủ phủ của vùng hạ Normandy vào thời của William the Conqueror. Bị người Anh chiếm giữ hai lần - vào năm 1346 và năm 1417 - nó đã bị họ nắm giữ cho đến năm 1450. Việc thu hồi Sắc lệnh của Nantes (1685) đã phá vỡ sự thịnh vượng của thành phố vốn đã trở nên theo đạo Tin lành. Trong cuộc Cách mạng Pháp, nó là một trung tâm cho phong trào Girondist. Sau Cuộc xâm lược Normandy của Đồng minh năm 1944, người Đức sử dụng Caen làm bản lề trong cuộc kháng chiến của họ trước cuộc tiến công của Anh - Canada, và thành phố đã bị phá hủy 2/3. Nó đã được tái thiết, với các khu công nghiệp được quy hoạch giữa Orne và kênh cảng. Một vùng đồng bằng xanh tươi, Prairie Saint-Gilles, quay mặt về phía Tây Nam của thành phố và các khu vườn công cộng đã được trồng ở trung tâm thành phố. Trường đại học, được thành lập vào năm 1432 bởi Henry VI của Anh, đã được phục hồi và mở cửa trở lại vào năm 1957. Đài tưởng niệm Caen (mở cửa năm 1988) là một bảo tàng dành riêng cho cả chiến tranh và hòa bình.

Các nhà thờ Saint-Étienne (Abbaye-aux-Hommes) La Trinité (Abbaye-aux-Dames) đã thoát khỏi thiệt hại chiến tranh cả hai đều có từ những năm 1060 và là những mẫu vật đẹp của Norman Romanesque. Ngôi mộ của William the Conqueror nằm trước bàn thờ cao của Saint-Étienne và ngôi mộ của vợ ông, Matilda, nằm trong dàn hợp xướng của La Trinité. Hài cốt của William đã bị vứt bỏ trong cuộc Cách mạng. Saint-Étienne có mặt tiền khắc khổ không trang trí. Hai tòa tháp của nó, cao tới 295 feet (90 m), được đỉnh bởi những ngọn tháp từ thế kỷ 13. Các tòa nhà của tu viện, được làm lại vào thế kỷ 17, hiện là nơi đặt các văn phòng thành phố. Sự kiên cố của La Trinité’s Norman bị quá tải do công việc trùng tu sau này (đặc biệt là vào thế kỷ 19). Gian giữa đóng vai trò là nhà thờ giáo xứ, nhà hát bội và dàn hợp xướng là một phần của bệnh viện thành phố (hôtel-dieu). Nằm giữa hai nhà thờ này là nhà thờ Saint-Pierre được trang hoàng lộng lẫy, những nét đẹp thời Phục hưng theo phong cách Gothic và Pháp được khôi phục lại sau những thiệt hại thời chiến. Trên Place Saint-Pierre là Hôtel Le Valois d’Escoville, một lâu đài thời Phục hưng đã được phục hồi (1538). Ngôi nhà nơi nhà thơ François de Malherbe sinh ra (1555) nằm trên đường Saint-Pierre.

Tầm quan trọng của Caen như một cảng có từ thế kỷ 19 xây dựng kênh tàu (dài khoảng 9 dặm [14 km]), chạy song song với sông và mở ra eo biển Anh tại Ouistreham. Nó phục vụ phần lớn cho việc nhập khẩu than cốc và xuất khẩu thép. Ngành công nghiệp thép của thành phố được cung cấp bởi các mỏ quặng sắt ở thung lũng Orne. Các lò cao của Mondeville đã được xây dựng lại, và dân số lao động được chuyển đến thành phố mới Hérouville. Bộ mặt công nghiệp của thành phố đã phát triển vượt bậc với vị trí của các nhà máy ô tô, thiết bị điện và điện tử. Nằm ở trung tâm của một vùng trồng ngũ cốc màu mỡ, trong tầm nhìn ra khu rừng xanh tươi của Normandy, Caen là một trung tâm dịch vụ chính của toàn bộ miền Tây Normandy. Nhạc pop. (1999) 113,987 (ước tính năm 2014) 106,538.


WROXHAM & # 8217S CASTLE KHÁC?

LỊCH SỬ VỀ CUỘC THI ĐẤU TRANH này được viết vào năm 1997 bởi PETER REEVE, hiệu trưởng của Trường Montessori cũ, nơi liền kề với đồng cỏ. Ông Reeve khẳng định rằng sẽ mất một cuộc đào khảo cổ để khám phá toàn bộ chi tiết về quá khứ của Wroxham. Một lần nữa tôi phải cảm ơn Barry Gorbould, một nhà sưu tập tất cả những thứ liên quan đến ngôi làng, vì đóng góp thú vị này.

Có nhiều hơn một tài khoản về nguồn gốc của cái tên Caen Meadow nhưng tất cả đều chỉ ra mối liên hệ với Caen ở Normandy sau Cuộc chinh phạt Norman. Chúng ta chắc chắn biết rằng hiên nhà thờ St Mary có niên đại từ thời kỳ đó và đá sa thạch được sử dụng tương tự như đá sa thạch ở Nhà thờ Norwich, được nhập khẩu từ Caen. [Xem ghi chú có bốn dấu hoa thị trong Thời niên thiếu ở Wroxham của tôi.] Nó cũng được trích dẫn trong lịch sử địa phương của Horstead và Stanninghall rằng toàn bộ quận, bao gồm cả Wroxham, thuộc địa phận của Tu viện Caen cho đến khi các tu viện bị giải thể.

Có lẽ câu chuyện thuyết phục nhất đến từ một gia đình vẫn còn sống trong làng, người vẫn cho rằng trên đỉnh đồi từng có Tu viện Caen và rằng vào mùa hè khô hạn, đường viền của các bức tường của tòa nhà có thể được nhìn thấy rõ trên cỏ *. Vào một ngày sau đó, một kho thóc thập phân đã được xây dựng trên khu đất, nơi mà Caenyard House đứng ngày nay. Thật vậy, khi tài sản này được xây dựng vào năm 1972, rất nhiều vật liệu nền móng đã bị dọn đi trong khi về phía Holly Cottage, một giếng sâu đã được phát hiện, hiện đã bị che phủ. Trước khi xe ủi đến, có thể thấy phần đất bên phải đồi là ruộng bậc thang, có mương chảy xuống sông.

Ở dưới chân đồi, bên phải, vẫn còn một cái vực được cho là dùng để bốc dỡ trái châu trong ký ức sống có những người lái xe dọc theo đoạn sông này. Ngân hàng đối diện, nơi những con alder đã lớn lên, đã từng là đồng cỏ Caen và có một con đường công cộng xa tới Coltishall. Việc bố trí những cây sồi trên Caen Meadow cho thấy rằng tầm nhìn quý phái này về phía dòng sông đã được duy trì từ thời của tu viện. Đó rõ ràng là một trang web chính và điều này đặt ra câu hỏi: trước đây đã có những gì? Có thể rủi ro khi đoán.

Bây giờ chúng tôi chuyển sang các tài khoản rằng đã từng có một điểm giao cắt của La Mã tại nơi mà bây giờ là cột công cộng. Đây sẽ là chiếc thuyền đầu tiên vượt sông từ nguồn của nó. Mặt đất ở đây vững chắc hơn và dòng sông bị thắt chặt đến mức một người thợ săn già duy trì rằng có thể đặt một lượng tử 18ft từ bờ này sang bờ kia.

Chúng tôi biết người La Mã đã ở Wroxham. Một đồng xu La Mã đã được tìm thấy trên đường dẫn đến cột mốc và một đồng xu khác vào năm 1977 trong khu vườn của Holly Cottage.

Có một điểm giao cắt thứ hai của người La Mã trên Bure ở Horstead, nơi có một trại La Mã và một pháo đài canh gác đường băng đó. Tuy nhiên, có thể giả định rằng điểm giao cắt ở Wroxham quan trọng hơn, là pháo đài đầu tiên và có thể bảo vệ đặc biệt từ mặt đất cao hơn nhìn ra nó. Nếu có một pháo đài ở Horstead, thì điều này lý giải cho việc chúng là một pháo đài ở Wroxham. Thật vậy, một khi các thuyền dài của Đan Mạch bắt đầu tiến lên các sông Norfolk, việc bảo vệ các điểm chiến lược là điều cần thiết. Ở đây có thể đề cập rằng tàu Bure đi vào biển ở phía bắc nơi Great Yarmouth ngày nay và không nhập vào cửa sông Yare.

Sau đó, chúng ta có câu đố về nguồn gốc của tên của lâu đài ale-house cũ. Phố Castle được đặt theo tên của một ngôi nhà công cộng hay là quán rượu được đặt theo tên của nơi từng có thể nằm ở đầu kia của con đường? Từ những ghi chép cũ, chúng ta biết rằng Phố Castle tiếp tục quá khứ nơi trường học thời Victoria được xây dựng cho đến tận Holly Cottage, tại thời điểm đó thu hẹp dần và được gọi là Church Land. Sự tranh cãi là cái tên Castle Street bắt nguồn từ con đường dẫn đến pháo đài hoặc lâu đài trên đỉnh Caen Meadow và nơi tu viện sau đó được xây dựng.

* Điều này không được nhầm lẫn với một tài khoản khác về một cơ sở tư nhân gần Hội trường Wroxham cũ, xa hơn nữa.


Lâu đài đã giúp đánh chìm một chiến hạm

Castle Archdale, một vùng ven hồ nhỏ và bị lãng quên ở Bắc Ireland, là công cụ trong một trong những chiến thắng hải quân quan trọng nhất của Đồng minh trong Chiến tranh thế giới thứ hai. Nằm trên bờ Lower Lough Erne gần Enniskillen, Archdale từng là căn cứ chính cho các thuyền bay PBY của Đồng minh Catalina và Short Sunderland trong phần lớn cuộc xung đột. Nằm ở cực Tây Bắc Ireland, tiền đồn hẻo lánh này cung cấp một nơi trú ẩn lý tưởng trên mặt nước lặng cho các máy bay tuần tra tầm xa của Đồng minh đã mạo hiểm tiến sâu vào Đại Tây Dương đầy giông bão để tìm kiếm những chiếc U-boat của Đức.

Một thỏa thuận bí mật giữa London và Dublin đã cho phép các thuyền bay của Anh, và sau này là của Mỹ, đi qua trực tiếp vùng trời trung lập của Cộng hòa Ireland trên đường ra bãi săn biển của họ. Vào ngày 26 tháng 5 năm 1941, một chiếc PBY từ Phi đội 209 bay ra khỏi Archdale đã phát hiện ra thiết giáp hạm Đức đang trốn tránh Bismarck. Sau khi được xác định chính xác, tàu mặt nước của Hải quân Hoàng gia và máy bay phóng ngư lôi từ tàu sân bay HMS Ark Royal hội tụ trên con tàu chiến mạnh mẽ và kết liễu cô ấy. Sự mất mát thể hiện một cú đánh tê liệt đối với Kriegsmarine.


Trận Caen, 6 tháng 6 - 6 tháng 8 năm 1944

Trận đánh Caen (6/6 - 6/8/1944) là một trong những trận đánh quan trọng trong Chiến dịch Overlord, và mặc dù người Anh và Canada đã đạt được mục tiêu chính của mình, nhưng việc không chiếm được Caen nhanh chóng gây ra rất nhiều tranh cãi.

Kế hoạch của Montgomery & rsquos cho trận chiến Normandy luôn là buộc người Đức phải giao lực lượng mạnh nhất của họ ở phía đông, tại điểm dường như là điểm hợp lý cho cuộc đột phá của Đồng minh về phía Paris và biên giới của Đức, cho phép người Mỹ đột phá sâu hơn về phía tây và quét vào Brittany và phía sau quân đội Đức đang chiến đấu ở Normandy. Tuy nhiên, người ta kỳ vọng rằng Caen sẽ thất thủ vào D-Day hoặc ngay sau đó, giúp quân Đồng minh kiểm soát các khu vực bằng phẳng xung quanh thành phố, nơi thích hợp cho việc xây dựng các sân bay.

Vị trí địa lý của Caen gây ra một số nhầm lẫn với các chỉ dẫn. Sông Orne thường chảy từ nam lên bắc, đi qua Caen và đổ ra biển. Caen bị chia cắt bởi dòng sông, với khu phố cổ ở tả ngạn sông và một loạt các khu ngoại ô và khu công nghiệp ở hữu ngạn. Tuy nhiên trong chính thành phố, con sông chảy qua một khúc cua & lsquoS & rsquo, vì vậy khu phố cổ nằm ở phía bắc của sông và một số khu vực ngoại ô ở phía nam của sông. Do đó, bờ trái đôi khi được gọi là bờ tây hoặc bờ bắc trở lại, trong khi bờ phải là bờ đông hoặc bờ nam. Một con sông thứ hai, Odon, nói chung chảy theo hướng đông bắc, và chảy vào Orne ngay phía nam Caen.

D-Day và Operation Perch

Vào chính ngày D-Day, người Anh và người Canada đã đổ bộ thành công lên các bãi biển của họ, nhưng Sư đoàn Thiết giáp số 21 đã tiến hành một cuộc phản công vào khoảng trống giữa các bãi biển Juno và Sword, và điều này kết hợp với tiến độ chậm hơn dự kiến ​​ngay trong đất liền có nghĩa là Caen vẫn nằm trong tay quân Đức tại vào cuối ngày.

Vào tối ngày D-Day, một lực lượng xe tăng từ Staffordshire Yeomanry, được hỗ trợ bởi Vua thứ 2 & Bộ binh nhẹ rsquos Shropshire đã tiến đến Lebisey Wood, chỉ ba dặm về phía bắc của thành phố. Tuy nhiên, khu rừng đã bị một nhóm tác chiến từ Sư đoàn thiết giáp số 21 trấn giữ, và quân Anh không thể tiến thêm được nữa.

Trong vài ngày tiếp theo, quân Đức đã có một cơ hội ngắn để đẩy lùi quân Đồng minh, khi họ chuyển ba sư đoàn thiết giáp đến Caen. Tuy nhiên, những lo ngại của Rommel & rsquos về sức mạnh không quân của Đồng minh đã được chứng minh là đúng. Panzer Lehr phải di chuyển khỏi Le Mans, và mặc dù hầu hết các xe tăng của nó đều sống sót, nhưng nhiều phương tiện hỗ trợ thiết yếu đã bị mất và sư đoàn không đủ khả năng để tham gia một cuộc tấn công khi nó đến Caen. Sư đoàn thiết giáp số 12 của SS bị thiếu nhiên liệu, và sau đó bị quân Canada giao chiến tại sân bay Carpiquet. Chiếc Panzer số 21 bị Orne chia đôi, và do đó không thể thực hiện một cuộc phản công phối hợp. Đến ngày 9 tháng 6, Rommel quyết định rằng cơ hội đẩy lùi quân Đồng minh xuống biển đã không còn, và ra lệnh cho quân của mình phòng thủ trong khi họ chuẩn bị cho một cuộc phản công toàn diện.

Một khi rõ ràng rằng Caen sẽ không thất thủ vào D-Day, kế hoạch của Đồng minh phải được thay đổi. Chiến dịch Perch, ban đầu là một kế hoạch tiến về phía đông nam Caen để thuyết phục quân Đức về lực lượng chính của Đồng minh sẽ đến trong khu vực đó, đã trở thành một cuộc tấn công hai mũi nhọn vào thành phố. Việc này bắt đầu vào ngày 10 tháng 6, nhưng không đạt được nhiều tiến triển. Giao tranh hạng nặng phát triển xung quanh Tilly-sur-Seulles, quân này đã đổi chủ nhiều lần trong vài ngày sau đó. Người Anh sau đó được thông báo rằng một khoảng trống đã phát triển ở phía tây Caen, nơi người Mỹ đã gây thiệt hại nặng nề cho một sư đoàn bộ binh Đức. Trong một nỗ lực nhằm tận dụng Khoảng trống Caumont này, Sư đoàn Thiết giáp số 7 được lệnh tiến vào vòng cuối phía tây của mặt trận Panzer Lehr tại Tilly. Đến sáng ngày 13 tháng 6, họ đã đến được Villers-Bocage, nhưng sau đó bị phục kích bởi lính tăng nổi tiếng Michael Wittmann, người đã tiêu diệt ba xe tăng ở trung tâm làng, và giúp phục kích một lực lượng lớn hơn ở phía đông. Một trận chiến ác liệt đã phát triển xung quanh thị trấn, nhưng đến cuối ngày quân Anh quyết định rút lui. Cơ hội cuối cùng để chiếm Caen mà không xảy ra một trận chiến lớn, mặc dù tại thời điểm này, quân Đức vẫn có khả năng hình thành các phòng tuyến mới, vì vậy lợi ích tiềm năng của việc nắm giữ Villers-Bocage có thể đã bị phóng đại.

Chiến dịch Epsom, 26-27 tháng 6 năm 1944

Montgomery quyết định mở cuộc tấn công lớn tiếp theo vào Caen ở phía tây thành phố. Mục tiêu của Chiến dịch Epsom là chọc thủng phòng tuyến của quân Đức ở phía tây thành phố, băng qua sông Odon, chảy theo hướng đông bắc vào Orne tại Caen, sau đó băng qua Orne và bảo vệ vùng đất cao ở tây nam thành phố. Cuộc tấn công sẽ được thực hiện bởi Quân đoàn VIII từ Tập đoàn quân số 2 của Anh Dempsey & rsquos, trong khi Quân đoàn XXX sẽ thực hiện một cuộc tấn công sơ bộ để chiếm Rauray Ridge, nơi nhìn ra chiến trường từ phía tây. Kế hoạch ban đầu là kêu gọi sự hỗ trợ của không quân từ Vương quốc Anh, nhưng điều đó đã phải thu hẹp lại vì thời tiết xấu. Thời tiết xấu, đặc biệt là cơn bão lớn vào ngày 19-21 tháng 6, đã làm chậm quá trình xây dựng của Đồng minh, vì vậy Epsom phải bị hoãn lại từ giữa tháng 6 đến cuối tháng.

Cuộc tấn công sơ bộ, Chiến dịch Martlet, bắt đầu vào ngày 25 tháng 6. Mục đích là thực hiện các trận địa cao xung quanh Rauray, từ đó các quan sát viên pháo binh Đức có thể gọi hỏa lực xuống trận địa Epsom. Cuộc tấn công do Sư đoàn 49 thực hiện, không đạt được mục tiêu chính. Sư đoàn đã tiến triển tốt ở bên phải, nhưng bị đình trệ ở cánh trái quan trọng hơn. Kết quả là vùng đất cao xung quanh Rauray vẫn nằm trong tay người Đức khi Epsom bắt đầu vào ngày 26 tháng 6. Martlet tiếp tục trong vài ngày tiếp theo, và Raurey cuối cùng thất thủ vào ngày 27 tháng 6 và cuộc tấn công tiếp tục vào ngày hôm sau. Tuy nhiên, rõ ràng là quân Đức đang lên kế hoạch phản công, vì vậy quân đội bắt đầu chuẩn bị bảo vệ những gì họ đã chiếm được.

Chiến dịch Epsom bắt đầu bằng một trận pháo kích kéo dài ba giờ đồng hồ, gây thiệt hại rất lớn cho tuyến đầu, nhưng lại trượt tuyến thứ hai. Sau đó các Lữ đoàn 44 và 46 Vùng đất thấp bắt đầu tiến lên, và nhanh chóng vượt qua tuyến đầu tiên. Phòng tuyến thứ hai của Đức, ngay phía bắc Odon, cầm cự lâu hơn, nhưng người Scotland đã có thể chiếm được Cheux, từ đó có hai con đường chạy xuống Odon. Người Anh đã kết thúc một ngày đầy thất vọng, nhưng người Đức đã kết thúc một ngày đầy lo lắng. Tướng Dietrich, chỉ huy Quân đoàn tăng I SS, đã kêu gọi quân tiếp viện để ngăn chặn một cuộc đột phá. Rommel cuối cùng đã đồng ý cử bốn sư đoàn thiết giáp đến khu vực này, bao gồm cả Sư đoàn thiết giáp SS 9 và 10 từ Quân đoàn thiết giáp II SS mới đến.

Vào ngày 27 tháng 6, người Anh cuối cùng đã vượt qua Odon, và bắt đầu tiến về phía nam đến Đồi 112, từ đó họ có thể nhìn thấy Caen. Đêm đó quân tiếp viện của Đức bắt đầu đến, và Tướng Dollman nhấn mạnh rằng họ nên mở một cuộc phản công ngay lập tức vào ngày 28 tháng 6. Điều này không đạt được bất cứ điều gì, và vào cuối ngày Dollman chết, hoặc vì một cơn đau tim hoặc do tự sát. Về phía Anh, cây cầu bắc qua Odon tại Gavrus đã bị chiếm giữ nguyên vẹn, và các xe tăng từ Sư đoàn Thiết giáp số 11 đã tiến đến đỉnh Đồi 112. Tuy nhiên, do thám trên không và các nguồn tin tình báo khác cho thấy rằng có khả năng xảy ra một cuộc phản công lớn của quân Đức. Tướng Dempsey quyết định hủy bỏ mọi nỗ lực tiến về phía Orne, vì điều đó sẽ chỉ làm cho đầu bờ biển hẹp của Anh thậm chí dài hơn và thậm chí còn dễ bị tổn thương hơn. Quân đội Anh tiên tiến nhất đã được rút lui, và một vị trí phòng thủ vững chắc được thiết lập xung quanh Odon.

Phản công Odon của Đức

Vào ngày 1 tháng 7, quân Đức mở một cuộc phản công lớn vào đầu cầu Epsom. Phần chính của cuộc tấn công này là ở phía tây, nơi Quân đoàn thiết giáp II SS mới đến đã tấn công vào sườn phải của đầu cầu mới. Ở bên trái, họ tấn công bằng Kampfgruppe Weidinger từ Sư đoàn Thiết giáp SS số 2 & lsquoDas Reich & rsquo. Tiếp theo trong hàng là Sư đoàn Thiết giáp SS số 9 & lsquoHohenstaufen & rsquo, với Sư đoàn Thiết giáp SS số 10 & lsquoFrundsburg & rsquo ở bên phải cuộc tấn công này.

Về phía Anh, cuộc tấn công của quân Tyneside Scotland thứ nhất tại Rauray, đến từ lực lượng Martlet, và lực lượng Epsom tiến xa hơn về phía nam. Lợi thế lớn nhất của họ là Ultra đã đưa ra cảnh báo về cuộc tấn công sắp tới. Để tránh bị cắt giảm bất kỳ quân số nào, các lực lượng tiên tiến nhất đã được rút đi.

Quân Đức đã lên kế hoạch tấn công vào lúc 3 giờ sáng, nhưng quân Anh đã cho pháo kích phủ đầu. Quân Đức bắt đầu di chuyển lúc 6h sáng, tấn công từ phía tây. Ở bên trái, họ đến gần Rauray, nhưng người Anh đã có thể điều động lực lượng hỗ trợ của họ vào cuộc, và một loạt cuộc tấn công trong ngày đều bị đánh bại. Ở trung tâm, Sư đoàn Thiết giáp số 9 SS đã cố gắng đánh chiếm La Valtru, nhưng không thành công. Ở bên phải Sư đoàn thiết giáp số 10 của SS đã nhanh chóng chiếm được Baron-sur-Odon, nhưng không thể giữ vững nó, trong khi một cuộc tấn công từ Đồi 112 bị pháo binh Anh phá vỡ. Vào cuối ngày, quân Anh đã trở lại vị trí ban đầu của họ.

Mặc dù Epsom & rsquot đã không đạt được tất cả các mục tiêu của mình, người Anh đã chiếm được một đầu cầu trên Odon, và quan trọng hơn là đã buộc quân Đức giao cho Tập đoàn II SS Panzer mới đến tham chiến tại Caen, thay vì có thể sử dụng nó cho một phản công về phía Bayeux. Điều này đặt ra một khuôn mẫu cho phần còn lại của trận chiến & ndash bất cứ khi nào người Đức có thể tạo ra một lực lượng dự bị bọc thép, người Anh và người Canada sẽ tấn công vào Caen và họ sẽ buộc phải giao cho Xe tăng trong trận chiến phòng thủ.

Chiến dịch Charnwood, 8-9 tháng 7

Sau một thời gian tạm dừng nữa, Montgomery quyết định mở một cuộc tấn công lớn vào phần phía bắc của Caen. Vài ngày trước cuộc tấn công chính, quân Canada đã cố gắng đánh chiếm Sân bay Carpiquet, ở phía tây thành phố (Chiến dịch Windsor, ngày 4-5 tháng 7 năm 1944). Họ có thể tự mình chiếm lấy ngôi làng, ngay phía đông bắc của sân bay, và phần phía bắc của sân bay, nhưng quân Đức đã giữ được phần cuối phía nam.

Bản thân Chiến dịch Charnwood sẽ được thực hiện bởi ba sư đoàn từ Tướng Crocker & rsquos Quân đoàn I & ndash Sư đoàn 3 Canada ở bên phải, Sư đoàn 59 (Staffordshire) ở trung tâm và Sư đoàn 3 ở bên trái. Trước đó nó sẽ là một cuộc tập kích ném bom lớn được thực hiện bởi 467 máy bay ném bom hạng nặng Lancaster và Halifax, dự kiến ​​sẽ đạt được những điều tuyệt vời (đặc biệt là của Harris). Tuy nhiên, tác động tức thì của cuộc đột kích thật đáng thất vọng. Các nhân viên hàng không kiên quyết yêu cầu thực hiện nó vào cuối ngày 7 tháng 7 thay vì vào sáng ngày 8 tháng 7 như kế hoạch, vì dự báo thời tiết phù hợp hơn với họ vào ngày 7. Kết quả là quân Đức đã có thể hồi phục sau cú sốc trước khi cuộc tấn công ập đến. Thứ hai, Harris đã khăng khăng đặt một đường bom phía trước vị trí của Anh và Canada 6.000 thước, và tập trung vào Caen hơn là những ngôi làng xa xôi, vì vậy cuộc đột kích đã không thể đánh trúng nhiều tuyến phòng thủ của quân Đức, ở những ngôi làng bên ngoài Caen.

Cuộc tấn công do Sư đoàn 3 và 59 phát động. Sư đoàn 3 tiến nhanh nhất, và nhanh chóng bắt đầu áp đảo Sư đoàn 16 Luftwaffe Field Division, vừa mới tiếp quản ở phần phía bắc của Caen. Xa hơn về phía tây, Sư đoàn thiết giáp số 12 SS đã tổ chức cả ngày, nhưng vị trí của quân Đức đang sụp đổ ở bên phải của nó. Qua đêm, quân Đức rút khỏi toàn bộ Caen ở phía bắc Orne, và trốn thoát qua sông. Tại thời điểm này, cuộc ném bom của quân Đồng minh đã giữ chân được quân của họ, và quân Đức đã có thể hình thành một phòng tuyến mới dọc theo con sông.

Charnwood được theo sau bởi Chiến dịch Jupiter (10-11 tháng 7 năm 1944), một nỗ lực nhằm chiếm lại Đồi 112 trên mặt trận Odon. Người Anh đã cố gắng giành được một chỗ đứng trên ngọn đồi, nhưng không thể hoàn toàn phá bỏ nó. Cuộc tấn công kết thúc sau một ngày, với đầu cầu của Anh được mở rộng một chút.

Chiến dịch Goodwood và Chiến dịch Atlantic, ngày 18 tháng 7-

Mặc dù phần phía bắc của Caen đã thất thủ, nhưng người Đức vẫn giữ phía nam và phía đông công nghiệp, bao gồm các tháp của các nhà máy Colombelles, một vị trí quan sát tuyệt vời. Họ cũng có vẻ như sắp chuyển quân về phía tây theo hướng St. Lo và khu vực trọng yếu của Mỹ. Montgomery quyết định mở một cuộc tấn công lớn khác tại Caen, lần này là ở khu vực phía đông thành phố.

Mục tiêu chính cho Chiến dịch Goodwood là một sườn núi thấp, bằng phẳng ở phía nam Caen. Đây được gọi là rặng núi Bourguebus đối với người Anh và rặng núi Verrieres đối với người Canada, sau những ngôi làng ở phần phía đông và phía tây của sườn núi phía bắc. Dãy núi này hầu như không thể nhận thấy trong các bức ảnh của khu vực, nhưng nó vừa đủ cao để che khuất tầm nhìn, che giấu xe tăng và pháo binh hoặc để cho bất cứ ai kiểm soát khu đất cao hơn có thể chỉ huy một khu vực nói chung là rất bằng phẳng. Trong khi thiết giáp tiến hành cuộc tấn công chính về phía nam, bộ binh Anh sẽ dọn sạch các khu vực ở phía đông Caen, trong khi quân Canada sẽ truy quét quân Đức ra khỏi các vùng ngoại ô phía nam của thành phố, bên hữu ngạn sông Orne (Chiến dịch Đại Tây Dương). ). Goodwood sẽ trở thành một trong những trận chiến gây tranh cãi nhất của chiến dịch Normandy, chủ yếu là vì những kỳ vọng khác nhau về mục tiêu của nó. Đối với Montgomery, mục tiêu chính của trận chiến là nhằm tiêu diệt các thiết giáp của quân Đức xung quanh Caen và ngăn quân Đức di chuyển quân tiếp viện về phía tây để chống lại cuộc đột phá sắp tới (Chiến dịch Cobra). Tuy nhiên, để có được sự ủng hộ đầy đủ cho các kế hoạch của mình, và đặc biệt là để thuyết phục RAF thực hiện cuộc bắn phá lớn mà ông ta muốn, Montgomery dường như đã xem nhẹ những thay đổi của một cuộc đột phá đối với Falaise. Eisenhower chắc chắn đã mong đợi điều gì đó tương tự, cũng như lệnh cấp cao RAF.

Trong một nỗ lực nhằm đánh lạc hướng quân Đức, hai cuộc tấn công đã được phát động ở phía tây Caen. Chiến dịch Greenline bắt đầu vào ngày 15 tháng 7 và chứng kiến ​​Quân đoàn XII tấn công vào Evrecy, quân bị bắt trong trận chiến, Chiến dịch Pomegrante bắt đầu vào ngày 16 tháng 7 và được thực hiện bởi Quân đoàn XXX. Hai cuộc tấn công đã giúp thuyết phục quân Đức di chuyển Sư đoàn Thiết giáp số 9 SS Hohenstaufen đến bờ tây của Orne.

Chiến dịch Goodwood là một cuộc tấn công đầy tham vọng. Vấn đề lớn nhất là người Anh chỉ nắm giữ một đầu cầu nhỏ ở phía đông Orne và phía bắc Caen, phần lớn là khu vực chiếm được vào D-Day. Lực lượng này không đủ lớn để hạ gục cả ba sư đoàn thiết giáp, do đó, những đội quân dẫn đầu sẽ phải bắt đầu cuộc tấn công trong khi sư đoàn thứ hai và thứ ba vẫn đang băng qua Orne. As a result only part of the massive armoured force would actually get into action. 11th Armoured Division, which led the attack, would be fully engaged. The Guards Armoured Division would also be able to commit significant forces to the fighting. The 7th Armoured Division would hardly be involved at all. On the eastern flank the 3rd Infantry Division and 152nd (Highland) Brigade were to protect the left flank of the armoured assault.

The attackers also faced very strong defences, with five interconnected defensive lines running back for ten miles from the front. However they lost Rommel, who was badly injured in an air attack on 17 July and never returned to the front. The German line east of Caen was held by the LXXXVI Corps, with the remains of the 16th Luftwaffe Division and the 356th Infantry Division in the front line and the 21st Panzer Division in reserve. The I SS Panzer Corps was further to the south, and both of its panzer divisions had been withdrawn from the front line &ndash the 12th SS Panzer Division to regroup and recover and the 1st SS Panzer Division as the local reserve. The Germans also had a fairly significant number of guns on the Bourgeubus ridge.

The battle began with another massive air attack, this time with 2,600 British and American bombers, dropping 7,500 tons of bombs onto carefully selected targets around the attack area. The artillery opened fire at 0640, and the advance began at 0745. At first the British tanks made very good progress, and they were soon approaching Bourguebus ridge. However they then ran into intact German defences, and had got too far ahead of their supporting infantry. The Guards Armoured Division joined the fighting, but instead of the much anticipated tank breakthrough, the battle turned into a series of small scale fights for individual villages. On the German side the ease with which the British had advanced as far as they did caused a great deal of concern. The 1st SS Panzer Division was ordered to launch a counterattack, but this wasn&rsquot actually noticed by the British at the time! On the left flank the British infantry also made decent progress, capturing a series of villages and pushing the Germans away from the eastern edge of Caen. 19 July saw a German counterattack that was repulsed along most of the line, while the British cleared up those villages that hadn&rsquot fallen on the previous day.

On the Allied right the Canadians carried out Operation Atlantic, with the aim of protecting the right flank of Goodwood and clearing the Germans out of the last bits of Caen. It was carried out by General Guy Simonds&rsquo newly activated Canadian 2nd Corps. The Canadian 3rd Division was to attack from the Orne bridgehead in the north and from the city centre, while the Canadian 2nd Division attacked from the west of Caen. Atlantic also began on 18 July. On their left the 3rd Division captured Colombelles village and steelworks, the chateau de Colombelles and Giberville, although in some cases only after day long battles. The 9th Brigade, coming from the north, advanced down the right bank of the river and attacked the suburb of Vaucelles, south of the city centre. The German defenders withdrew to avoid being cut off. In the west the 2nd Division attack began in the evening. On their right the division was held up at Louvigny, but in the centre and left they were able to bridge the Orne and cross into Vaucelles.

On 19 July the Canadians successfully cleared the remaining Germans out of southern Caen. However this ended the successful part of the operation. On 20 July they pushed south onto the Bourgeubus Ridge, and ran into intact German defences. Poor weather limited the amount of air support available, and the Germans were even able to launch successful counterattacks. The same was repeated on 21 July and 22 July, before the operation ended. Atlantic had achieved its main aim of clearing Caen, but the ridges south of the city remained in German hands. Once again this was only achieved by moving armour east of the Orne, making it unavailable to deal with Operation Cobra.

Although Goodwood is now mainly remembered as a failed breakthrough, it actually achieved Montgomery&rsquos main aim of pinning the German armour down around Caen. It also greatly worried the Germans &ndash General Eberbach considered it to have been a great defeat, and coming very close to achieving a breakthrough, while for von Kluge it indicated that the battle of Normandy was lost. On 21 July he reported to Hitler that the German line &lsquoalready so heavily strained, will break.

After Goodwood

Although Goodwood and Atlantic left Caen securely in Allied hands, the official dates for the battle of Caen take it up to 8 August, and the start of Operation Totalize, the first major Canadian attack towards Falaise. Fighting did continue around Caen, although it was soon overshadowed by Operation Cobra, the start of the American breakthrough, which began on 25 July. The general aim around Caen was to push the Germans further away from the city. On 22 July 1944 British troops attacked to the south of Caen (Operation Express), and captured the village of Maltot, just west of the Orne and less than five miles from the city centre.

The biggest of these attacks was Operation Spring (25-26 July 1944), a Canadian attack on the Verrieres ridge. The attack was to be carried out by the newly activated Canadian 2nd Corps, under General Simonds. The corps contained the 2nd and 3rd Canadian Infantry Divisions, of which the 3rd had suffered heavy casualties on D-Day and the 2nd was new to battle, the Canadian 2nd Armoured Brigade and 2nd Army Group Royal Artillery.

Planning for this attack began on 21 July, in response to a delay in the start of Operation Cobra from 20 July. The aim was to push the Germans off the slightly higher ground south of the city, and pin them down in the east. However this area was strongly defended, and the Germans had access to a series of mine tunnels that linked several of the villages. When the Canadians attacked, the Germans were thus able to pop up in areas that were meant to have been cleared, preventing the attack from gaining any momentum. The Canadian attacks on 25 July were defeated at heavy cost, making it the second most costly day for Canada during the entire war, second only to Dieppe. The attack only took one of its objectives, and had to be called off early on 26 July when the bad news reached General Simonds. However the attack did achieve its main aim, pinning the Germans down south of Caen. It also attracted the attention of Field Marshal Kluge, who spent 25 July on the Caen front, just as the western end of the German front was crumbling. Kluge didn&rsquot leave the Caen area until the afternoon of 27 July, by which time the breakthrough had begun.

The main focus on the British front then moved west, to Operation Bluecoat, which began on 28 July. This saw two British corps attack from the Caumont area, half way between Caen and Saint Lo, with the aim of supporting the American advance.

Over the next few days the Americans broke right through the German lines and began to fan out into Brittany to the west and towards Le Mans in the east. It soon became clear that there was now a chance to trap a large part of the German army in Normandy, if the Canadians could push south from Caen and the Americans push north from around Le Mans and Alencon. The new target would be Falaise. The official end date of the battle of Caen is thus the same day as the start of the first Canadian attempt to break through to Falaise, Operation Totalize (8-11 August 1944).

The battle of Caen was key to the overall Allied victory in Normandy, but it wasn&rsquot as glamorous and its successes less obvious than Operation Cobra. Repeated British and Canadian attacks made slow but steady progress, rarely reaching their more optimistic targets. Montgomery often failed to fully explain his overall plan, and on occasion even Eisenhower began to worry. However on the German side each of the famous offensives caused a great deal of alarm. Every time they managed to release their panzer divisions from the front, there would be another attack, and they would have to be committed to desperate defensive battles. The same happened to fresh divisions as they reached Normandy. Perhaps the most important example of this was the decision to commit the two freshly committed Panzer divisions of the II SS Panzer Corps to the fight against Operation Epsom, a move that forced Rommel to abandon his own plans for an attack towards Bayeux. Goodwood was seen as a disaster on the German side, and a sign that the front was about to crack. Even Operation Spring, a costly failure for the Canadians, distracted Field Marshal Kluge at the moment when he was needed on the American front. The long bitter battle for Caen may have been controversial, but it drew in most of the German panzers, and helped pave the way for the spectacular American breakthrough then breakout at the other end of the line.

Stout Hearts: The British and Canadians in Normandy 1944, Ben Kite. Looks in detail at the role of each element in the British and Canadian military machine during the Normandy Campaign, including each aspect of the ground forces from the infantry to the armour, intelligence, reconnaissance and medical services, as well as the air support and the fire power provided by the massive Allied fleets off the Normandy coast. A very useful companion to narrative accounts of the campaign, helping to explain how the British and Canadians managed to overcome the determined German resistance on their front [read full review]

Mémorial de Caen: No trip to the D-Day Landing Beaches is complete without a visit to the Mémorial de Caen just be sure to designate a full afternoon to it. This vast museum focuses both on the history and repercussions of war in the 20th century, as well as post-war peace keeping. Inaugurated in 1988, the museum stands on the very soil where some of the fighting for Caen took place in 1944, and perhaps understandably its D-Day exhibit is particularly fascinating, using a large split screen to depict the D-Day Landings simultaneously from Allied and German viewpoints.

Vaugueux neighbourhood: With its Caen-stone houses dating back to the Middle Ages, this neighbourhood is probably one of the most popular, best-known parts of Caen. It is also a trendy nightspot whose many restaurants and bars come to life in the evenings along the main street (rue du Vaugueux) and old town square. Edith Piaf herself used to come here to see her grandparents, who ran a café in the neighbourhood!

Hôtel d’Escoville: One of Caen’s finest buildings, which now houses the local tourist office

The marina: Just around the corner from one of the liveliest, best-restored corners of the old city centre, this scenic marina full of yachts and surrounded by smart modern apartment blocks may come as a pleasant surprise to anyone unfamiliar with Caen, and is a great place for a stroll.

Jardin des Plantes: Caen prides itself on being a green city and this botanical garden is one of the many reasons why. Thanks to Gallard de la Ducquerie, a professor at Caen’s Faculty of Medicine, who acquired the land in 1689 and filled it with rare plants, the garden is now home to over 2,000 different species.

Women’s Abbey: This abbey was built for Queen Matilda on a similarly grand scale to the Men’s Abbey between 1060 and 1080. The 11th-century Church of the Holy Trinity is a fine example of Norman architecture and houses the tomb of Queen Matilda, wife of William the Conqueror. The superb crypt, with its barrel vaults supported by 16 close-ranked columns, is remarkable, as are the 18th-century convent and French-style garden.

Men’s Abbey: William the Conqueror, to regain the favour of the Pope, who disapproved of his marriage to his distant cousin, Matilda Princess of Flanders, ordered the construction of the Men’s Abbey in 1066. Construction began in the Norman style but the abbey was completed in gothic style in the 13th century, and houses William’s tomb. The abbey is an architectural masterpiece, its elegant lines mixing the simplicity of Norman architecture with gothic intricacy. The large monastic buildings later attached to the abbey now house Caen Town Hall.

Caen Castle: One of the largest walled fortifications in Europe, this castle was built for William the Conqueror, who made Caen into a great centre of power in Normandy. Damaged during the bombings of 1944, the castle has since been restored and its extensive walls and towers make for an impressive sight. Within the ramparts, explore the castle’s two museums, the Musée des Beaux-Arts (Fine Arts Museum) and the Musée de Normandie (which explores the region’s history and ethnography). Also worth a visit at Caen Castle are the Salle de l’Échiquier (Treasury Chamber) and Church of Saint-Georges.


How to get to Caen

Caen is conveniently situated two hours from Paris by train and a mere 15 minutes from the cross-Channel port of Ouistreham, which operates regular sailings to Portsmouth in the UK. The city also has its own airport in the neighbouring town of Carpiquet. Caen is within driving distance of popular Normandy attractions including Bayeux and its famous tapestry, the D-Day Landing Beaches, and the picturesque Pays d’Auge, home of cider and cheese. Beaches and towns where you can enjoy traditional seaside fun are also just on the doorstep. Caen even boasts its own yachting marina, the Bassin Saint-Pierre, right in the heart of town.


Wiltshire Community History


The town of Devizes developed around the Norman castle which was probably built c.1080 by Osmund, Bishop of Salisbury. There is little evidence of prehistoric settlement on the site, but some Roman remains have been found in the Southbroom area of the town.

The castle was built on a promontory on the western edge of the Marlborough Downs with the valley of the Avon to the west and the Pewsey Vale to the east, 9 miles from Calne, 14 miles from Marlborough and 12 miles from Trowbridge. Because Osmund built his castle on the boundaries of the King's manor of Rowde and his own manors of Cannings and Potterne it became known as ' castrum ad divisas', the castle at the boundaries.

The original castle was probably a motte, or tower, of wood with an outer bailey protected by a ditch, stockade and drawbridge. This structure burnt down in 1113 and was rebuilt in stone by Richard of Caen, Osmund's successor as Bishop of Salisbury. The castle was described by a contemporary, Henry of Huntingdon, as 'the finest and most splendid in Europe', but little now remains of it apart from fragments of the foundations.

On several occasions important prisoners were held in Devizes castle, an indication of how impregnable it was considered to be. In 1106 Robert of Normandy, the eldest son of William the Conqueror, was imprisoned here when his younger brother Henry seized the throne during Robert's absence at the First Crusade. He was to remain a prisoner at Devizes for the next twenty years before being moved to Cardiff where he died in 1134.

The years 1139 to 1141 were full of incident for the inhabitants of the castle and the town that was developing outside its walls. The heir to the throne, following the death of the King Henry I's only son, was his daughter Matilda, who was also known as the Empress Maud as she was the widow of the Holy Roman Emperor. Henry I died in 1135 having extracted an oath from the barons and bishops, including Roger, that they would accept her as queen, but his nephew, Stephen of Blois, invaded England to claim the throne and was supported by many of the barons and bishops.

At this time Roger was one of the most powerful and influential men in England. During Henry's reign he had been appointed Justiciar of England, as well as being Bishop of Salisbury, and had deputised for the King when Henry was abroad. In addition Roger had appointed his natural son, also called Roger, to the post of Chancellor and two of his nephews to bishoprics.

Roger declared his support for Stephen but he must have been considered a dangerous ally as, in 1139, during an assembly at Oxford, Stephen used a disagreement between his French followers and Roger's retainers as an excuse to arrest Roger, his son and nephews. Matilda (also called Maud) of Ramsbury, who was Roger's mistress and the mother of his son, was at this time holding Devizes castle but when Stephen arrived and threatened to hang her son she surrendered the castle to him. Bishop Roger was freed but forced to surrender all his possessions to Stephen and he died later in the year, a broken man.

Meanwhile Matilda and her followers were advancing through the West Country and so Stephen now moved on to try to stop her, besieging the castle at Trowbridge on the way, and leaving a party of soldiers to hold the castle at Devizes.

Robert Fitzhugh, a Flemish adventurer stated that if he held Devizes Castle he could control all the lands between London and the west, and in Stephen's absence he captured the castle, using leather ladders to avoid waking the garrison. He proceeded to lay waste the surrounding country and when Matilda's brother Robert, Earl of Gloucester, sent a force to take over the castle for Matilda he refused to hand it over. Eventually he was captured and when his men refused to surrender the castle in return for their leader's life Fitzhugh and two of his nephews were hanged in front of them. Stephen subsequently regained control by paying the remaining mercenaries to leave. Count Hervey of Brittany, Stephen's son-in-law, took over the castle, but the local townspeople had become so disenchanted by the activities of Fitzhugh that in 1141 they besieged the castle and eventually forced Hervey to surrender to Matilda's forces. By this stage Stephen had been captured at Lincoln and Matilda had been proclaimed Queen although she was never crowned. In gratitude to the people of Devizes she granted them freedom from certain tolls, which in effect gave them the right to hold a regular market.

For the remaining seven years of the civil war Devizes stayed in Matilda's hands, although Stephen's troops sometimes ravaged the surrounding areas, and she was often in the town.

Matilda retired to Normandy in 1148 and died in 1167. Her son Henry took up the cause and used Devizes as a base for campaigns in the West Country. He successfully repelled an attack on the castle by Stephen's son Eustace. Eventually he forced Stephen to recognise him as his heir.

The Crown retained possession of the castle until the seventeenth century, and together with the land around Devizes and Rowde, the Old and New Parks and the right of appointment to the forests of Chippenham and Melksham it made a very important royal gift.

The castle was again used as a prison when King John's second wife, Isabella, was sent there in 1206. She gave birth to a son there in 1209, and in 1216 John sent the Royal regalia and crown jewels to the castle for safe keeping. John died later that year and was succeeded by his nine-year-old son, Henry III, who was living in the castle at the time in the care of the governor.

During the 12th and 13th centuries the town of Devizes developed outside the castle with craftsmen and traders setting up businesses to provide the residents of the castle with goods and services. Following the granting by Matilda of the charter allowing a market, the town grew rapidly. The layout of the streets followed the line of the castle's defence ditches, of which there were four, and the regularity of the burgage plots in New Park Street and the Market Place suggests that it was deliberately planned, rather than developing piece meal. The medieval market place was in the large space outside St Mary's Church, rather than in the modern Market Place, which at that time would have been within the castle's outer bailey. A market cross stood near to the White Bear Inn in Monday Market Street.

The town had achieved such importance by 1295 that it was summoned to send two representatives to Edward I's Model Parliament, and continued to be represented in most other parliaments of the period, although there seems to have been an economic decline from 1332 to1336 when the town's importance was reduced and it was not represented.

The first mention of a market in Devizes is for 1228 although there were probably earlier ones established without royal permission. In 1567 a second market was granted, to be held in St. Mary's parish on Mondays, but it seems to have ceased by 1814. A Thursday market, which had been established by 1609, is still held weekly in the Market Place.

The chief products in the sixteenth and early seventeenth centuries were corn, wool and yarn, with cheese, bacon and butter increasing in importance later. Fish was brought up from Poole, and John Aubrey considered Devizes to be the best fish market in the county. By the early nineteenth century there was a twice weekly market for butchers meat and in 1842 the market for corn and malt was described as one of the most important in England.

Over the centuries various commodity markets lapsed and were revived again. The cheese market had finally ceased by 1903 when the market was said to be for corn, poultry, butter and vegetable. In 1939 corn, cattle, pigs and poultry were sold, though by then cattle and corn were of minor importance.

The actual sites of the different markets have changed over the years. The first markets were held in front of St Mary's Church, but with the physical deterioration of the castle defences the townspeople gradually took over the open area of the castle bailey where the present Market Place is situated. Other areas which have been used include Short Street, Wine Street, St. John's Street and High Street.


A number of market halls were built at different periods to house the corn market, cheese market, wool market and butchers shambles. The Corn Exchange was built in 1857 and has a statue of Ceres, the Roman goddess of the harvest, surmounting it. The Shambles, in the corner of the Market Place, was built in 1838, and now houses market stalls on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays.

The present market cross was the gift of Lord Sidmouth and one side of it tells the story of Ruth Pierce, a market woman from Potterne, who dropped dead in the Market Place in 1753 after lying about payment for a purchase of wheat.

The earliest fair in Devizes was granted in 1208 for the benefit of the local lepers. It was to be held yearly on the eve and feast of St. Denis (8th and 9th October), but by 1223 the Bishop of Salisbury seems to have displaced the lepers and was disputing the rights of the fair with the constable of the castle. Other fairs are recorded between this time and the sixteenth century when, in 1567 the corporation was granted two fairs of its own. In 1685 the Crown granted another new fair, known locally as the 'wholesale fair', to be held in St. John's parish on 10th April.

By 1759 there were seven fairs, held on Candlemas (13th February), Maundy Thursday, Trinity Thursday, 15th July, 9th September, 2nd and 20th October. Some fairs specialised in particular merchandise: the Trinity fair, for example was predominantly for horses, while the one in July was for wool.

As with the markets the fairs prospered and declined over the years with the occasional revival but the remaining two, held in July and February, ceased in 1939 and 1942 respectively.

The direct involvement of Devizes in the war between King Charles I and Parliament was due partly to its position between the King's headquarters in Oxford and the south west of England where he had strong support. This made the town of strategic importance to both sides. At the outbreak of the war the town's two MPs, Edward Bayntun and Robert Nicholas, were supporters of Parliament but there was strong Royalist sympathy within the town led by the mayor, Richard Pierce.

When the war broke out in 1642 some of the castle's fortifications were repaired and locks, chains and barricades were set up across the road entering the town from London.

In 1643 the Royalist Sir Ralph Hopton and his army fought a series of engagements with the Parliamentary forces under Sir William Waller, culminating in an indecisive battle at Lansdowne near Bath. Hopton was injured in an explosion and the Royalists made for Devizes where they could hold off Waller's forces while Hopton recovered. Waller camped near the village of Roundway and besieged the town. Hopton's men were very short of ammunition and, following the failure of a relief party to reach Devizes, it was decided to send a small party of cavalry to Oxford to fetch guns, powder and bullets. In the meanwhile Hopton ordered his men to collect all the bed cords in the town and to boil them in resin to make match. Lead was stripped from the church roofs to melt down to make bullets.

Waller began to bombard the town with cannon balls and canister shot and at one stage his cavalry reached the outer streets of the town but failed to get through the heavy barricades. As he was expecting reinforcements to arrive Hopton refused to surrender and employed delaying tactics to play for time. Waller, confident that Royalist reinforcements would be intercepted before they reached him, agreed to a six hour parley. This turned out to be a fatal mistake as the Royalists were not stopped and Waller had to hastily redeploy his men to face the relief force.

At 4.00 p.m. the Royalists under Lord Wilmot reached Roundway Down. They had fired a gun at Roughridge Hill to alert Hopton to their arrival but his officers, fearing a trick, persuaded him not to leave the town. This left the relief force outnumbered three to one.

The battle was fought on the Downs between Roughridge Hill, King's Play Hill, Roundway Hill and Morgan's Hill. Initial attacks by the Parliamentarians were repulsed and the Royalist Cavalry, despite attacking uphill, put the opposing cavalry to flight and pursued them for three miles across the Downs to a steep hillside. Many of the Parliamentary men and their horses were killed in what became known as the 'Bloody Ditch'. Hopton, realising that a battle was taking place, emerged from the town and his infantry helped turn the Parliamentarian retreat into a rout. Waller escaped to Bristol but his army was almost totally destroyed.

For the next two years Devizes remained under Royalist control, during which time the King arranged for more work to be done on improving the castle's fortifications. The moat was cleared and the drawbridge repaired.

The castle was manned by four hundred Welshmen under Sir Charles Lloyd when Oliver Cromwell reached Devizes in September 1645 and demanded their surrender. Following their refusal Cromwell set up 10 guns in the Market Place and bombarded the castle. One shell landed in the roofless keep where the powder was stored and although it failed to explode Lloyd surrendered. He and his officers were allowed to join the king at Oxford. Parliament ordered that the castle should be destroyed and this was carried out in 1648.

There is little evidence of any established industry before the fourteenth century but from this period the leather, metal and textile trades seem to have predominated. In the sixteenth century Devizes became known for its white woollen broadcloth but in the following century the trade in white cloth apparently declined and was replaced by serge manufacture and later the production of drugget, which was being exported to Russia up to about 1753. Felt was also made.

In about 1785 John Anstie built a factory for the production of cassimere, a closely woven fancy fabric, and in 1788 he was said to have three hundred looms in use. Much of this cloth was sold abroad but the French wars severely limited trade, with the result that he went bankrupt in 1793.

From this period there was a decline in the textile trades in Devizes but other trades continued to establish themselves. These included clock making, a bell foundry, booksellers, milliners, grocers and silversmiths.

Two trades of particular importance came to prominence in the eighteenth century: these were brewing and tobacco. Brewing and malting had been carried out on a small scale for centuries, but in the mid eighteenth century the firm of Rose and Tylee was established and the site of their brewery, in Northgate Street, is now part of the brewers Wadworth and Co. who were founded in 1875.

From the early part of the eighteenth century tobacco was cured and snuff ground in Devizes. The earliest records are of Richard Anstie who had a shop on the corner of Snuff Street and the Market Place. For some years William Leach used two windmills, originally built to grind oilseed rape, which stood on the old castle motte, to grind snuff. The Anstie family continued its interest in tobacco with a factory in John Anstie's former cloth factory. In 1944 the Imperial Tobacco Company bought the business. The production of snuff ceased in 1957 and the curing of tobacco in 1961.

The construction of the Kennet and Avon Canal at the end of the 18th century revealed a large area of Gault and lower greensand clays which were ideal for brickmaking. The Devizes Brick and Tile Company was founded at Caen Hill and continued production until its closure in 1961.

New industries developed in the nineteenth century and continued into the twentieth. These included agricultural engineering (Brown and May, and T.H.White Ltd.), building contractors (W.E.Chivers and Sons Ltd., and Rendells), dairy produce (North Wilts Dairy Co. Ltd.), bacon production (Central Wiltshire Bacon Co.) and electrical manufacturing (Cross Manufacturing Co. and the Hinchley Engineering Co.). During World War II a flax industry was established to make parachute harnesses and tents.

The Kennet and Avon Canal was constructed between 1794 and 1810. It linked Devizes to Bristol and London, and to the Wilts and Berks Canal at Semington and the Somerset Coal Canal. Because of opposition from a local landowner the route for the canal caused major technical problems: within a distance of 2 1/2 miles it had to rise 237 feet from the valley of the Avon to the Pewsey Vale. This was accomplished by means of 29 locks, 17 of them in one flight at Caen Hill.

The main cargo on the canal was coal from Somerset, and the Wharf became a depot for its distribution. Other cargoes included Devizes beer for London, West Indian tobacco from Bristol for Anstie's factory, and building materials.

The success of the canal was short lived. The railway arrived in Devizes in 1857 but GWR had purchased the canal in 1852 and its use gradually declined and it fell into disuse.

In 1951 the fight to save the canal began in earnest with the formation of the Kennet and Avon Canal Association, and in 1990 the Queen celebrated the reopening of the full length of the canal by travelling through one of the locks at Caen Hill.

Proposals for a railway service for Devizes were made as early as 1836 but they come to nothing. Five years later the steep incline at Caen Hill caused Brunel to adopt the Swindon to Chippenham main line route from London to Bristol rather than taking the line through Devizes and Bradford-on-Avon. Opposition from local landowners also delayed things but in 1856 the Somerset and Weymouth Railway agreed to extend a single line track from Holt Junction to Devizes and the service opened in 1857. In 1862 the Great Western Railway opened an extension of the Berkshire and Hampshire line from Hungerford which linked Devizes to London, but the building of the Westbury line through Lavington again bypassed Devizes. The railway closed in 1966.

Churches: Information on both current and disused churches and chapels.

Schools: Information on both current and closed schools.

Photographs: If images have been added for this community they are available here.: We hold a collection of over 50,000 photographs of places in Wiltshire in the County Local Studies Library. These may be viewed at this library and copies of out of copyright material may be purchased. We can search for a picture of a building or event if you e-mail us with details.

Historical Sources: A select list of books and articles is listed in 'Printed material'. You may go directly to the actual text from some of these.

Printed Material: This is a select book-list for the community but in the case of a town there may be hundreds more books, pamphlets and journal articles.

The full text of some items is available to view on this site.

The Victoria History of Wiltshire (opens in new window) is a partnership between local authorities and the Institute of Historical Research at London University. The History of Wiltshire is now the largest county history in the country and is still growing. The volumes are divided between general and topographical with Volumes One to Five covering subjects such as prehistory, ecclesiastical, economic and political history. The Volumes from Six onwards are topographical and will ultimately provide a comprehensive and systematic history of every single town and parish in the county.

(opens in new window) Explore Wiltshire's Past web site

Newspapers from 1738: These newspapers covered this community at different times. Newspaper titles in bold text are either the ones you should check first for information about this community.

Maps: listed are maps on which you can find this community. All maps are Ordnance Survey maps.

Archaeological Sites: A Sites and Monuments Record (opens new window) is maintained by the County Archaeology Service and covers some 20,000 sites. The Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society was formed in 1853 and have been publishing an annual journal since 1854. The journal contains both substantial articles and shorter notes on archaeological excavations, finds, museum objects, local history, genealogy and natural history.

History of Buildings: The collections of the Wiltshire Buildings Record are housed in the Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre at Chippenham.

Listed Buildings: The number of buildings, or groups of buildings, listed, as being of architectural or historical importance, is 323. There are five Grade I listings, Devizes Castle, No. 17 Market Place, Brownstone House and wall, the Church of St. Mary and the Church of St. John the Baptist, and 46 Grade II* listings.

Local Authors: There could be an author who was born or has lived in this community.

Literary Associations: Some communities have featured in novels or may have been the main setting for a book.

Registration Districts: If you want to obtain a copy of a birth, marriage or death certificate you can contact the local registrar.

Search the Wiltshire Studies Catalogue This will take you to our library catalogue where you will need to limit to 'Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre' for branch and re-enter your search term to find books on the subject. Please enter more than one word, e.g. 'Salisbury + market' unless you are looking for a small community.

If you have a local history enquiry, contact the County Local Studies Library


From February to December (except December 25th and January 1st) daily 10am-6pm
July and August daily 10am-7pm
Guided tours (free) Weekends and holidays English 11:30am French 3:30pm
July and August: Daily English 11:30am anmd 3:30pm French 10am and 2pm

Admission
Adult 7.50 euros children 6-16 years 3.50 euros
Family pass (2 adults and child between 6 and 16 years) 18 euros

Falaise Tourist Office
Boulevard de la Libération
14700 Falaise, Calvados, Normandy
Tél.: +33 (0)2 31 90 17 26
Falaise Tourism Website

Where to Eat in Falaise
La Fine Fourchette
52 rue Georges Clemenceau
14700 Falaise, Normandy
Tel.: 00 33 (0)2 31 90 08 59
A welcoming, friendly local restaurant, family run with father and son turning out very good dishes, particularly fish. Set menus from 16 euros and a good a la carte.


Xem video: Cụ Tổ Của Những Loài Cây -10 Cây Cổ Thụ Siêu To Khổng Lồ Trên Thế Giới Và Những Kỷ Lục Ít Ai Ngờ Tới